Friday, May 30, 2008

The significance of a box

I've been putting off writing on this blog for a while, partly because I was waiting for May to be over so I could update my 2008 promises for the last two months at once. And, partly because I couldn't think of anything significant to write about (minus the wedding).

Well, something significant happened 8 days ago. Looking back I should have seen it coming. The company I worked for is struggling significantly with sales and this economy isn't helping. My job consisted of helping the sales team and buying the product for them once they sold it. Due to circumstances way beyond my control, there wasn't much to help with and definitely not much to buy. So, they decided to cut my job along with five others. I know it wasn't an easy decision for them and I have my own opinions about the whole thing - but needless to say, I'm out of a job.

I'm still sort of in shock about it. Only one other person was in the office when I left since they let one other girl go earlier in the day and everyone else was out. I grabbed a box and slowly gathered all of my belongings: the red faux tulips that brightened my desk given to me by a friend for my birthday last year, my memo board with all of my pictures of friends and family tacked on, my framed photo of my sister and of course some random stuff I had tucked away - lotion, chapstick, etc.. Almost 2 1/2 years of stuff removed just like that. I turned off the light in my office and said good-bye.

The crappy part is I was really good at that job and I loved it. I loved the people I worked with and the vendors that became friends. It sucks.

So now I'm one of the many thousands of people looking for a new job. And although I don't mind this sleeping in thing, I'd much rather be working. Just today I got a call about an interview next week so I'm pretty excited to see some hope.

For now, the box sits on my bedroom floor. I don't really feel like dealing with what's in it. I'm hoping to move those things into a new work space pretty soon. But for now, it sits there reminding me of a day that I really would just rather forget.

I'm taking this time to get things done that I wouldn't necessarily have been able to do - clear out old clothes from the closet, get things filed away that have piled up on the desk, finish another book or two, watch some movies I haven't seen, and I was able to attend a graduation ceremony for one of my best friends.

No comments: