Sunday, May 18, 2008

Murphy's Law about back pain

I've been working out for about a month. I've been feeling stronger, losing a little poundage and inches along the way. Okay only 4 lbs. and 1.5 inches so far. But hey that's about a pound a week, yay me!

I've also been telling people how much stronger my core is feeling. Those muscles that I've let turn to mush are feeling the effects of crunches, twists and other exercises so assigned by Zach, my trainer. I tell my friends 'ya it's great to feel like my core is totally firming up' and I told my chiropractor 'I'm feeling soooo strong'. Nobody told me that is the trigger for a strain.

Yesterday, I went to SB for a much needed mocha fix and to work on some homework with Miss Angela. After two hours inside, we decided that it was altogether too cold and screaming babies were annoying. We moved outside. Yes, it was over 100 degrees but the shade was pretty awesome.

Of course, the table we wanted to use was turned the other way, so 'strong' me decides to move it so that it was more user-friendly. On the third lift, I felt it. That instant ouch and pull in my low back that I've felt so many times before. Note to self **don't talk about how strong you are**

I immediately sat down, told Ange that I was hurting but decided to work through the pain. As long as I don't try to move too quickly or bend at the waist I'm good to go. We stayed out there for a good hour or so then moved back inside because of some really irritating, lewd people at the next table over.

Not too much longer I went to Target for some Therma Care heat wraps (my #1 best remedy for back pain), went home and took it easy. Sleep is always a little hard to do when the lower back is so sore.

I got up this morning feeling pretty lousy. I threw on one of the wraps, got ready for church and called in a replacement in the toddler room. There was no way that I was going to be able to interact well with the kiddies. I made it through church and lunch. I then went to go pick up some friends for the chocolate festivities in Oakdale, then to the mall, dinner and now home. My back seems to be okay. I guess the exercise is helping it heal faster!

I'm feeling okay but I'm pretty sure another wrap will go on tomorrow morning.

No comments: