Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tea Time

Last night I went to a tea for an awesome friend of mine in honor of her upcoming wedding. Sounds like fun, doesn't it? It was neat to see people I hadn't seen in a while and have tea and dessert while catching up.

Then the games began - well, more like an open discussion with prizes. I was assured it was everyone-friendly meaning the questions would be open to married and single ladies. Turns out, not so much. Sadly, I kept wanting to get up and go because everyone there was either married, engaged, had been engaged or in a long-term relationship or at least had a steady boyfriend. I felt really out of place. I have none of those and feel pretty alone right now. Doesn't help that the night before I was at a dinner/movie with all couples except me.
I know I'm the minority in the group - I get that - and it still makes me feel like crap sometimes.

This single life is hard! Sure there are the freedoms of being able to do whatever I want when I want but, but....

Besides, the pats on the back and the sad face sideways glances don't really help anymore. The 'you just haven't met the right one' business is an easy out kind of answer too. Why not? I've prayed and I've asked people to pray. I've joined at least five or six dating websites. Nothing has clicked. It's borderline ridiculous.

In the meantime, I get through each day, week, month hoping that this is the holiday season that I can bring home a guy for my family to meet. It hurts. It breaks my heart. But I press on.

No comments: