Friday, January 9, 2009

"As a courtesy"

Wednesday night I checked my bank account to make sure all my recent transactions had posted and I had enought money to cover all my bills. Yep, I did with a little to spare. Imagine my surprise when I check the next day and I have less than $0...uh, excuse me? How can I be negative when I was positive yesterday and nothing else went through??? Why did I get hit with overdraft fees??

So I went to the bank. I asked nicely to talk to someone about the fees and why I was charged them. The snotty girl said, "oh I can tell you". Alright Miss Smartypants let's look.

We sit down at her desk and type in my info. Up pops a screen showing all of my recent transaction, all which posted loooong before yesterday. One was from Sunday! She was quiet then said, "hmmm...I can't see where you were overdrawn." To which I thought...Ya, I know.

Well, she goes and talks to her assistant manager in the other room for - I'm not kidding - ten minutes.

She comes back in and says that they both looked at my account and can't figure out why I was charged those fees so 'as a courtesy' they would reverse them. Oh, how courteous to remove something that was your mistake, people!

I thanked her and walked away with a smile on my face. It's these little wins that keep me from going a little crazy sometimes. Having a clean bank statement is huge during the escrow process. Any kind of blemish looks bigger under the underwriting microscope.

No comments: